Niagara Falls is a world-class destination for scores of reasons, and while the waterfalls and the wine arguably remain the biggest draws to the place, the area hosts fascinating events all year round that create plenty of other reasons why a visit to Niagara is almost always in order. One such event that’s coming up in the beginning of August is the Survival Expo, a showcase of vendors, speakers, organizations, and more that specialize in everything from disaster preparedness and homesteading to the off-grid lifestyle.
Whether you truly want to be prepared in case human civilization re-enters the Dark Ages, or you simply want to know how to live a more basic and elemental life, the Survival Expo is both entertaining and educational. Here is some of the information you’ll need to attend, as well as a few of the highlights of what you can expect to find at this year’s Expo.
About the Survival Expo
The Survival Expo was started by a group of people who share a desire to learn and practice a more basic and prepared way of living. As the largest Survival Expo in all of Canada, the Niagara Falls’ Expo is a way for people who are already engaged in survival-centered living to share their knowledge, expertise, products, skills, and more with other people who want to learn. This year’s Survival Expo will take place over the weekend of August 8 and 9 at the Scotiabank Convention Centre, and it will feature over 100 exhibitors, dozens of seminars, and thousands of attendees. The Expo is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets are $10 per day, or you can pay $18 for a two-day pass.
The seminars offered at this year’s Survival Expo cover a wide range of topics for anyone interested in being prepared for either a four-day backpacking trip in the Canadian wilderness or a doomsday scenario in which the vast amount of resources we all depend on day-to-day suddenly disappear or go on the fritz. Seminars cover a wide range of topics that deal with everything from home defense to foraging. Some of the seminars being offered include:
- Survival Medicine. Learn everything about emergency first aid from wound care to suturing in this seminar.
- Edible Wild Food. If the grocery stores no longer stocked food or you found yourself lost in the woods, this seminar will show you what you can forage for food.
- Urban Beekeeping. If you want fresh, local honey in the city, this seminar will show you how to keep bees in an urban environment.
- Self-Defense. If your physical self is ever threatened, this seminar will show you how to properly and smartly respond.
- The Art of Urban Survival. Since most people live in urban areas, any disaster or true national emergency might necessitate surviving in an urban area. Learn how to do so with this seminar.
Head to Niagara Falls for the vacation of a lifetime, and learn survival skills at the same time by spending some time at the Survival Expo.