Canadians, like most people, love any excuse to throw a party, and in the Niagara region, that reason more often than not centers around wine. Because the Niagara region is home to so many vineyards and wineries—almost 14,000 acres are planted in grapes—it probably comes as no surprise that one of the biggest parties of the season takes place in celebration of the new season’s vintages. For anyone looking to visit the Niagara region, celebrate solstice, and experience the pleasure of a new batch of wine paired with excellent food, the TD Tailgate Party should not be missed.
Held each year at a Niagara wine country vineyard, the 2015 TD Tailgate Party will bring together over 40 wineries, 10 local chefs making local food, live music, and oenophiles from all over for a festive gathering that, for many in the region, marks the highlight of the year. Held on June 20th from 6pm to 10pm at a Niagara-on-the-Lake vineyard, the Tailgate Party ticket gets you an all-inclusive pass to the event, the wine, the music, the food, and the shuttle service to and from the vineyard on (the day before) the longest day of the year. Here is just a sampling of what you’ll find in food and wine that night.
It’s nearly impossible to name the 40+ wineries involved with this year’s Tailgate Party, let alone the vintages and wines they’ll be making available to guests. That being said, you can look forward to enjoying the best the region offers, including wine from the following wineries:
- Flat Rock Cellars. This winery specializes in low yield, progressive viticulture that utilizes handpicked and hand-sorted grapes, as well as gravity-flow winemaking.
- Stoney Ridge Estate Winery. This Niagara Escarpment winery boasts exceptional icewines and award-winning Chardonnays.
- Rockway Vineyards. This family winery and vineyard makes premium craft wines in the Twenty Mile Bench and is the only Ontario winery that also boasts a championship golf course.
- Vineland Estates Winery. For three decades, this award-winning winery has been producing some of the region’s finest Riesling and Cabernet Franc wines.
Not to be outdone by the exceptional wine being offered, the 10 chefs participating in the TD Tailgate Party are cooking up a feast for the eyes, nose, mouth, and stomach. Niagara is home to some of the finest cuisine in all of Canada, and much of it will be on display at the Tailgate Party. Here are some of the chefs whose food you can look forward to:
- Nathan Young, In the Smoke Cookery and Catering. Chef Nathan Young’s passion for barbecue and smoked meats will be on full display at the Tailgate Party, where he will showcase local markets, growers, farmers, and meat, as well as a more rustic approach to food preparation.
- Beth McIntee, Sweetie Pie’s Kitchens. Chef McIntee grew up in the Niagara region and has been at the helm of her Sweetie Pie’s Bakery since she opened it in 2010. She uses local fruit to create unique baked goods and preserves.
- Justin Downes, The Restaurant at Vineland Estates Winery. Through the use of local purveyors and farmers, Chef Downes creates adventurous dishes that showcase the best in Niagara cuisine.
Come to Niagara for the party of the year, and experience the best in wine, food, and entertainment at the 2015 TD Tailgate Party.